Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Chip in e-cigarette battery.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 18:04:58 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

At the end of the day; that chip is a lithium cell charge controller.

Yes, with the added bonus of a puff counter and copy protection
system:
http://se.azinstall.net/2015/10/hacking-vuse-e-cig-puff-counter.html

Most of my home brew lithium chargers require supervision, the charge board
from an e-cig can be left to get on with it - even if it takes a long time
to charge a decent sized cell.

I've been experimenting with fast charging 18650 cells at 4A. So far,
I've confirmed that I can charge at the data sheet rate without damage
but only if I keep the cell cool and not try to get too close to 100%
charge. The quality of the cell also makes a big difference. The
typical "Fire" type cells are junk and are rarely capable to meeting
their stated capacity (ma-hr). Therefore using a data sheet max
charge rate is the same as charging too fast. I've destroyed a few
cells verifying the problem. Also, heavily used cells are at reduced
capacity, which also requires a reduced fast charge current and time.
In other words, you don't have to wait a long time for it to charge,
but only if you know the capacity and can control the temperature. I
use a water bath, but that's not suitable for General Public.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/charging-18650-batteries-at-2-0-amp.41432/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D