Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Battery Rebuilders: Primecell vs MTO?

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 06:24:13 -0800 (PST)
rangerssuck wrote:

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 5:28:38 PM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 3/3/2016 4:15 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

[...]

Yeah and that has created a bit of a dilemma: does one buy quality tools
that will last forever, but are obsolete in 10 years?

I have scrapped a number of perfectly functional NiCad tools when they
needed new batteries simply because the LiIon are so much better. I
can't help but wonder if my nice Milwaukee LiIon tools are going to be
obolete-d by some new battery.

Bob

Good question. The two Porter Cable tools cost less than $150 and replace the Bosch that cost well over $200, maybe 10 years ago. The Bosch still has lots of life in it, and will get some use in the shop, but it's unlikely to see lots of field work going forward.

I put my money into good extension cords, AC Inverter and there is
always the generator I use for power failures if I get desperate...

I do have a small Lithium drill I paid ~$30 for a bit over a year ago.
It replaced a ~25 year old Craftsman/Skil Nicad Drill I got when I was
still working full time. Even then it was usually more practical to
just run an extension cord and be done with it. New drill works good for
making pilot holes. Then I use hand tools to fill the holes...

All my old power tools with cords from the last 50 years still work
great. They haven't obsoleted 120 vac yet ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b