Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Battery Rebuilders: Primecell vs MTO?

In article ,
rangerssuck wrote:

The Bosch still has lots
of life in it, and will get some use in the shop, but it's unlikely to see
lots of field work going forward.

I replaced my Bosch 12V with a Ryobi 18 lithium. I had already gone with
new batteries in the Bosch once, and it was feeling a little tired
overall. I won't get it new batteries, but I will rebuild one of its
batteries into a 12V cord (the one upside of a 12V tool - easy power
options) and use it as a corded tool. The little green monster does way
better at the portable drill/driver job, and was not far off the cost of
another pair of old-tech batteries.

I did pretty much the same thing with my old Powerbook 170 when all the
various batteries had died and the power jack was wonky, too. There I
just cut off the power cord (fortunately of a style / vintage that
charged at operating voltage, pretty much) and made a hole in a battery
case (plus a power LED and a capacitor or two.) The "corded battery"
works just fine - I guess they built the battery contacts a bit better.
Of course the antiquity of the whole system is something of an issue 25
years later.