Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Future of cabinet making...

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 19:33:24 -0500, Bill
wrote:

OFWW wrote:
Seen the loss of skilled tradesmen as they moved to other crafts or
retired.

In related news here, Carrier (furnaces and A/C) is closing it's factory
in Indianapolis soon
and opening one is Mexico where the workers will be paid "$3/hr + about
$3/hr in benefits", according to the CEO. I don't know what the workers
were paid here, but the loss to the local economy (and society) will
certainly be felt.

My employer sent all of the production jobs from our site to Mexico in
'08. It's been a bumpy ride but less so than China or Malaysia. The
odd thing is that there are more jobs (doubled in size, twice, since I
started four years ago) now than there were then, and all engineering
and management jobs (though a good percentage are H1s). All of the
production area is now engineering office space. Note that this is a
Japanese company that's investing in engineering, here. Globalization
is a two way street.