Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Future of cabinet making...

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:32:20 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/3/2016 10:00 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/2/2016 5:40 PM, OFWW wrote:

Plus, someone wanting an exact period piece matchup will not be able
to get it as something's will just not match up.

Yeppers.

Imagine the shop that relies on a machine, when a client calls and says
I have ten of these 50 year old chairs, but I want/need/must have two
more that are identical to this one, and they are nowhere to be found:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...3?noredirect=1

Basically well-to-do will pay heavily to assuage their must haves ...
this guy traveled from Austin to Houston twice, plus paid handsomely for
this very simple job:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Couldn't find a "craftsman" locally with the tools or know how to do the
precision necessary ... and OMG, he just had to have the latest
millennial rage - his old desk magically turned into a standup desk.

End result will be lots of plus' and minus' for the new technology and
an adaptable skilled craftsman will also be able to make a comfortable
living. There is always a niche' to fill.

Bingo, Hell yes, and Yeppers again. The man nailed the elephant in the
thread!

And, as I have said here a few hundred times:

"There's riches in niches"

LOL, and what I have said under my breath, sales are great to those
where money is no object.

And the corollary that has never been truer, as evidenced in the links
above:

The more machines that do the work, the more valuable the ability to
fill the resulting voids/niches becomes.

IOW, bring on all those machines, eh Leon? LOL

Exactly! Machines often speed up production and precision in areas that
you will never see. Take my lap joint double floating tenon joints for
instance. ;~) How many man hours and $$$ do you suppose my Domino has
saved considering that it has cut 10K mortises, even at just $2 per
hour? LOL I would buy another in a heart beat should it poop out.

Building slower does not make for better quality.

But in one hundred years people will be clamoring for those good old
fashion antique Domino style joints, shaking their heads while saying,
they just don't make things like they usta.