Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Future of cabinet making...

On 3/2/2016 5:40 PM, OFWW wrote:

Plus, someone wanting an exact period piece matchup will not be able
to get it as something's will just not match up.

Yeppers.

Imagine the shop that relies on a machine, when a client calls and says
I have ten of these 50 year old chairs, but I want/need/must have two
more that are identical to this one, and they are nowhere to be found:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...3?noredirect=1

Basically well-to-do will pay heavily to assuage their must haves ...
this guy traveled from Austin to Houston twice, plus paid handsomely for
this very simple job:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...?noredirect=1#

Couldn't find a "craftsman" locally with the tools or know how to do the
precision necessary ... and OMG, he just had to have the latest
millennial rage - his old desk magically turned into a standup desk.

End result will be lots of plus' and minus' for the new technology and
an adaptable skilled craftsman will also be able to make a comfortable
living. There is always a niche' to fill.

Bingo, Hell yes, and Yeppers again. The man nailed the elephant in the
thread!

And, as I have said here a few hundred times:

"There's riches in niches"

And the corollary that has never been truer, as evidenced in the links
above:

The more machines that do the work, the more valuable the ability to
fill the resulting voids/niches becomes.

IOW, bring on all those machines, eh Leon? LOL

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net