Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Receiving SMS messages via a landline phone

Davey wrote
Jonno wrote
News wrote

Wife's mobile is dead. Needs a new battery. Mine, a used one
ex son has been reclaimed by son because he cracked the screen
on his. Anyway, neither wife or self actually turn ours on unless
we actually need to, by which time the battery is flat anyway.

There's no answer to that kind of 'logic'.

Well indeed. We don't feel we need mobiles, or at least, very rarely.

I don't use mine a lot, but it's not a problem to keep in charged
and kept in a place where I can hear it ring or check for messages.
In the past I've lost money because I never made or received
enough calls to keep O2 happy and they blocked my number.
That's something to consider if you seldom use a PAYG mobile.

I use a £5 per month service,

I dont pay a cent if I dont make any calls, send any texts or use any
data.

if I make no calls, there is no problem,

Except the waste of that £5 per month.

and I have £5 worth of calls available if I want to use
them. I think it can send and receive texts as well,

I'd be very surprised if it couldnt.

but it's only powered up if I want to
make a call, so I never bother with that.

I do make quite a few calls and receive about as
many now that we coordinate the garage/yard
sale opening times by mobile phone. Most months
I dont spend more than $10 on all calls, texts and data.

It's always kept charged, after I broke down in the car, and nearly
ran out of 'phone battery directing the RAC to where I was.

Trivially avoidable with a cheap charger that charges your phone in the car.