Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Receiving SMS messages via a landline phone

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 19:34:11 +1100
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Nope, its only the american system that does that and
that is because they don't have a unique series of numbers
for mobile phones and mostly do have free local calls, so
they have the terminally stupid system where the receiver
of the call or text pays for receiving the all, even if they
don't want it or its spam etc.

However, the advantage of the American system is that, to a caller, a
mobile is the same as any other 'phone, so when somebody gives out his
mobile number as a contact point, the caller is not charged extra for
connection to a mobile, as is the case here. Here, I contact somebody
with a view to having him do work for me, he gives me a mobile number,
and it costs me extra to call him just because he is using a mobile.
And yes, I know this can be mitigated by selected Calling Plans or
calling from another mobile, but that is not always so simple, it is the
basic principle that annoys. If anything, as it is his choice to use a
mobile, it should be him that pays the extra cost.

--
Davey.