Posted to uk.d-i-y
News News is offline

Default Receiving SMS messages via a landline phone

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
News wrote:

Whilst I'm confident the school service is OK, I don't know who the
caller is until accepting the message. What concerns me is accepting
something that is not from the school, and somehow being conned. Is
that possible?

The golden rule is the same as ordinary calls. Don't depend on anything
if you're unsure of its source.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I don't mean conned by the message
content, I mean conned by accepting it in the first place, i.e. is there
any way I can be charged an outrageous sum just to listen to the
message? The answer appears to be no, for which many thanks.

Getting back to the school, the messages are not child specific but
rather updates to the bus service, school closures etc [1]. Quite
annoying really - the local authority operates a web site for exactly
the same purpose, with each school updating info for their own news.
However, it seems the SMS service has priority, with the site being
updated later, if at all.

[1] We have also had updates re the bingo night run by the parent
council [2]. Oh joy.

[2] What used to be the PTA.
--
Graeme, Harper Valley