Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Receiving SMS messages via a landline phone

News wrote

OT, I know ...

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last
time.

We have rarely, if ever, received SMS messages on our landline phone until
now. Son's school have started sending updates by that method,

Is he really that much of a horrible little brat ?

which is OK, but is there any possibility we will be charged for using the
service?

Nope, its only the american system that does that and
that is because they don't have a unique series of numbers
for mobile phones and mostly do have free local calls, so
they have the terminally stupid system where the receiver
of the call or text pays for receiving the all, even if they
don't want it or its spam etc.

Whilst I'm confident the school service is OK, I don't know who the caller
is until accepting the message. What concerns me is accepting something
that is not from the school, and somehow being conned. Is that possible?

Yes, its possible you will believe the lie in a
text that you have just won the lottery etc.

But that is just as true of your mobile
or a phone call to your landline.