Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default Printer roller rejuvenator recommendation?

On 03/01/2016 9:47 AM, wrote:
I have used Rubber Renue with success. Be careful and use with plenty of ventilation.

Dan

Rubber Renue is simply Acetone (with something added to slow down the
evaporation rate) as I recall.

According to the MSDS, MG's Rubber Renue is about 60-70% of a xylene
mixture, 20-30% ethylbenzene, and 15-30% methyl salicylate ("oil of
wintergreen"). The latter accounts for its distinctive odor.

I've found Rubber Renue to be pretty effective at removing the
hardened varnish-like layer on rubber rollers, and restoring "grab" to
rollers that are in reasonably decent shape. Really old or oxidized
rubber may be too far gone and may not "renew" properly... I don't
think Rubber Renue can soften up a whole roller that has hardened up
with age.

Agree, be careful using this stuff... the ingredients are
significantly toxic... best to use it outdoors, and wear good
chemical-resistant gloves (not rubber for tolerably obvious reasons;
nitrile looks like a better choice).