Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Door sizes

On 2/29/2016 9:59 AM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 10:36:32 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:
On 2/29/2016 8:10 AM, TimR wrote:
Take your tape to Home Depot or Lowes. What size are those doors? (the
ones for sale, not the ones you walk through at the front of the store)

That will tell me what they *sell* but won't explain why the two
doors I observed (different homes, different widths, different
construction techniques) are "off".

If all doors are 35.5, then you have determined that a nominal 36 door is actually 35.5.

I find it unlikely a custom door is a half inch different.

That was the point of *asking* -- instead of surveying the entire
neighborhood!

Bob's upthread assertion that *his* door is 36 inches suggests
either *his* is the oddball (being EXACTLY "as advertised")
*or* mine at 35.5 -- and neighbor's at 31.5 -- are the oddballs!

I find it hard to believe that an architect (multiple architects?)
drafting plans for different homes (floor plans, construction techniques,
etc.) would be off by 1/2 inch "more than once".

So, did the builder (or, ONE of the builders in this subdivision)
get a deal on oddball doors? Did the carpenters and masons
screw up reading the plans? Have door dimensions changed over
the years? etc.

Now, it's a "local" *puzzle*! I'll have to see how extensive the
"problem" is among my other neighbors' homes (I walk past all of
them each day; I *don't* drive to Home Depot every day!)