Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Door sizes

On 2/29/2016 3:09 AM, bob wrote:
On 02/28/2016 09:12 PM, Don Y wrote:
Exterior door measures 35.5" wide. I assume this is a nominal 36"
door? Or, a ******* size acquired by developer when the home
was built?

(A neighbor's door is 31.5" wide which I would assume qualifies as
a 32" door]

FWIW, my exterior doors measure 36".

Thank you, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I.e.,
that doors aren't like "dimensional lumber": nominally a particular
size (e.g., 2x4) but, in actual fact, somewhat smaller (1.5x3.5).

The doorway openings (weatherstripping to weatherstripping) are 35.5".

I have no idea how my neighbor's doors measure up. ;-)

Seeing ours at 35.5, checking a neighbor's (different floor plan,
different building construction, different "nominal size" door)
seemed a quick way to the truth.

I'll bring a tape rule with me tonight and ask friends if I can
measure theirs to see if the pattern extends to all homes in the
neighborhood (the area was developed in two very distinct time
periods), all homes of particular styles/floorplans, all homes by
a particular *builder* (I think three different developers were
involved), etc.

A sample size of TWO (out of two examined) undersized doors
isn't very conclusive...