Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ceramic heater safety cutout switch temperatures?

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 03:08:39 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , escribió:

says the "overheat shutoff temperature" varies from 149 to 265 F, or
about 65 to 130 C. Note that this covers both ceramic and non-ceramic
heaters.

A useful data point, thanks.

Taking mine apart,

You didn't have to go to that much trouble, but thank you.

the ceramic core is about 3.25 x 3.5 x 0.5 inches,
or about 83 x 89 x 13 mm. If yours is very different than this, then it
may need a different temperature rating!

3.5" x 3.25", so very similar. There's 4 ceramic cores with two heat
levels selected by a switch (heat level 1 = 2 cores operating, heat
level 2 = 4 cores operating)

Ceramic elements are PTC so self-regulating to an extent.

Google leads me to
http://www.auone.com/showproduct13.asp?ProID=1849 .
The part I have looks like their "AUT-P" series (with the white plastic
tab)

That sounds like a resettable one.

, which lets me *guess* that the "95" in the part number means
95 C (or 203 F). Again, this is _just a guess_.

It's also right in the middle of the "65 to 130C" shutoff temperature
you quote above.

Many thanks.

Please proceed with caution. The house you don't burn down may be
your own.

Obviously, I need to choose a sensible temperature for the cutoff - too
low, and it'll trip on and off all the time. There is also a thermal
fuse as a belt-and-braces measure at the top of the ceramic frame. I
haven't looked to see what temperature rating it is. Obviously, if that
fails, it will fail open permanently.

The ceramic element is held in place in a hard plastic frame, so isn't
going to be allowed to get very hot.

I'll try a 95C switch with a temporary neon indicator on the feed to the
element to see if it's cycling excessively, and go from there.

It's a nice little heater, very quiet and efficient, so worth a bit of
time.

Thanks again.

Nice as it is the efficiency is same as any other electric heater. All
the power going into it becames heat in the room it's in.
ERS