Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replacement multimeter test leads

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 06:39:02 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 22:09:36 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 23:02:29 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Right!
Just think, an oops when you are in 10amp mode with regular leads and
they fry. Or short the long tip on the Red probe across pins and it
melts away...

Martin

Or use a inexpensive (HF) meter to test something..thinking it was
208..and finding that the meter was not..not rated for 480....going
off like a small fireworks device the moment the probe was touched to
the terminal...which I saw last month....to an inexperienced vendor
for a machine accessory supplier. Was funny as hell..afterI made
sure his heart was still beating..albit about 200 bpm.

Har! So, the probes are rated 1kV but the meters aren't? Figures.

I honestly cannot say if they are or are not rated for 1kv. His
certainly didnt appear to be. It was bright however....(VBG)

As you are aware..I, in the course of my business day..may indeed have
occasion to check higher voltages than 208..and when Im working above
208 or in unknown territory..will use one of my Flukes, B&Ks etc etc,
rather than a $3.25 multimeter with leads thinner than my mustache
hair.

Just saying....shrug

Gunner