Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 15:33:02 +0100, Dimitrij Klingbeil wrote:

But could you please make a complete list of found faults and your
replacements, and post it he

I mean, you posted at the very beginning (long before finding the slow
diode) that you've found and replaced some obviously defective parts,
but I can't remember if you ever posted, exactly which ones they were.

I think you may possibly be getting mixed up with a different repair
here, Dimitrij. I do have some flaky capacitors to replace when I return
and I'll note which ones I change for your information. As for what
previous technicians may have done, I have no idea what if anything has
been replaced - apart from that one obvious diode. I got absolutely no
background information on this scope, it was given to me for nothing by
some guy who was emigrating so its past will now always remain a mystery.
It's a pity, because this obviously adds another set of unknowns into
troubleshooting the thing, but it's just something I'll have to live with
I guess. In all honesty, this repair is proving to be a 'baptism of fire'
for me in the world of SMPSs of which I admit I know very little (yet a
lot more than I did 3 months ago!)