Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dimitrij Klingbeil Dimitrij Klingbeil is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On 27.02.2016 01:42, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:36:16 +0100, Dimitrij Klingbeil wrote:

[...]

Dimitrij, I think you may have missed this I posted elsewhere so I'm
re- posting it here now for you personally:

"Final update for the time being as I have to leave soon now:

That short turned out to be intermittent. I hope it was just due to
something shorting out on the bench that won't happen when the
casing is back on because you all know what a bitch it can be to
trace intermittent faults. Anyway, that fault has now disappeared, so
I took some voltage measurements before the 20W resistor got to hot
(from 19'C to 60'C takes about 1.50s now) and I have:

61.7 12.7 5.8 0 -5.8 -12.7 -62.4

This is with the psu board plugged into the scope and all power
connections made except for the VHT stuff.

The correct figures according to the manual should be:

60 12.7 6 0 -6 -12.7 -60

So very close! Looks like the main transformer may be ok after all."

Making progress!

Hi

Noted your progress

But could you please make a complete list of found faults and your
replacements, and post it he

I mean, you posted at the very beginning (long before finding the slow
diode) that you've found and replaced some obviously defective parts,
but I can't remember if you ever posted, exactly which ones they were.

Also, you have indicated other things that may impair reliability (like
capacitors with pieces of film isolation flaking off), and again, you
didn't seem to indicate the exact schematic part numbers.

As you may well know, to troubleshoot anything properly and reliably,
and to be able to assess the likely chains of cause and effect, one
needs to know the history of the repairs, as completely as possible, and
also anything obviously (visually or otherwise) suspicious too.

Therefore please make some lists, and take particular care to make them
complete, to leave nothing out, and to indicate each and every listed
part's schematic part number (important, since others can't see your
board and need the exact numbers to identify the parts in question).

- one list with all previous repairs that you have found: which parts
were replaced in the past, as visible from manual solder joints, and
where the replacements were of different type from the original, clearly
indicate the exact types of replacements.

- one list with all of your repairs: which parts you found defective and
what exact parts (exact type and manufacturer) you have replaced them with.

- one list with all parts that currently look suspicious or for whatever
reason seem to be of questionable integrity.

It would be nice if you could make a printout of the schematic, and mark
all those items in color (like for example yellow for previous repairs,
circled twice if the repair was inexact, red for those you replaced, and
blue for the suspicious ones), and then scan and post the color-
annotated schematic somewhere for us to see.

To avoid "... and what else was there?" or "... and what about part
XYZ?", please make sure that this annotation is really complete. Trying
to get such information one question at a time can be frustrating.

Regards
Dimitrij