Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Culligan restart

On 2/28/2016 6:46 AM, Chiefjim wrote:
On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 10:44:10 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:
On 2/27/2016 10:55 PM, Chiefjim wrote:

You might find something online, with a google search ..

eg: http://cassidywater.com/service/Mk100_Serv_98_2000.pdf

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints:
---

That like the others I saw really doesn't address what a home
owner should or should not do when restarting a water softener
that hasn't been used for months.

What do you expect to find? Fill the brine tank with salt. set
the controls, open valves as needed. Check the water for hardness.
It may have to go through a regeneration cycles to soften
properly.

Having never owned a water softener I'm being cautious. In the
automotive world when a vehicle is being reactivated most
recommendations include changing the oil and filter, brake and
steering fluids, and often flushing the cooling systems. Also common
is to inspect the gas tank and replace a fuel filter. All various
steps to ensure the user doesn't risk causing new damage.

Is there any analogy with water softening systems? Should things be
flushed first, emptied, lubricated, etc? Or is it as simple as
confirm enough salt is in the tank, check control panel settings, and
open the bypass valve?

I've owned and installed water softeners in my own home for ~ 40 years.
Pretty straightforward. In your case there are no fuel filters, lube
points, etc.

Flushing? Sure thing. Does this unit take salt pellets or rock salt -
big difference and something you definitely want to know before
refilling the brining tank. The other thing to consider is a
"reconditioning agent" (or a rose by any other name). Morton Salt makes
one with a chemical added to the pellets that "cleans" the mineral bed
and system. There are also bottles of same which can be selectively
added to brine tank during the recharge cycle to accomplish the same
thing. Note: I had a bad experience using the Morton product (all the
time). The chemical added produced fumes that eventually attacked the
Delrin gears in the water softener control head and I wound up have to
replace the whole damn thing. I think it was more of a design defect
(Sears Kenmore with softener tank, controls and brining tank all in one
unit.).

I would clean it (brine tank) out as best I could, fill it with the
correct salt type.

I would then run it through two or three recharge cycles just to get the
"old" water out of the mineral bed. And I would do this in rapid succession.

I would then TEST the softened water for hardness and iron content and
make sure the softener's controls were properly set so you don't run out
of hard water. The newer models (and higher end) do not recharge on a
set schedule. You simply input the water hardness level and a
microcomputer in the control unit monitors water usage and recharges
automatically. Thus, if you go on vacation and don't use any water for
three weeks, the unit will not recharge (as there's no need). When
you're home and hardness/capacity/usage combine to require a recharge
every six days that's what you get. If the kids come to visit and
suddenly you're doing two extra loads of wash and there are seven
showers every morning and two baths at night, the softener may
regenerate every night. Easy-Peasy!