Posted to alt.home.repair
Chiefjim Chiefjim is offline

Default Culligan restart

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 10:44:10 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/27/2016 10:55 PM, Chiefjim wrote:

You might find something online, with a google search ..

eg:
http://cassidywater.com/service/Mk100_Serv_98_2000.pdf

That like the others I saw really doesn't address what a home owner should or should not do when restarting a water softener that hasn't been used for months.

What do you expect to find? Fill the brine tank with salt. set the
controls, open valves as needed. Check the water for hardness. It may
have to go through a regeneration cycles to soften properly.

Having never owned a water softener I'm being cautious. In the automotive world when a vehicle is being reactivated most recommendations include changing the oil and filter, brake and steering fluids, and often flushing the cooling systems. Also common is to inspect the gas tank and replace a fuel filter. All various steps to ensure the user doesn't risk causing new damage.

Is there any analogy with water softening systems? Should things be flushed first, emptied, lubricated, etc? Or is it as simple as confirm enough salt is in the tank, check control panel settings, and open the bypass valve?