Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:54:07 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dave W wrote:
The BBC transmitted at least one experimental broadcast of stereo,
using the Home Service and Third Programme for the left and right
channels. According to the BBC Genome website it might have been in
1958. I built two crystal sets in series, using germanium diodes,
feeding my left and right high-impedance ex-WD headphones. The aerial
was strung across the room in south London.

Don't remember that. Those I do remember used TV sound for one channel.
IIRC on a Saturday morning when there were no broadcasts on TV - only the
test card.

To use two radio services meant disrupting them both.

One item was of a theatre musical chorus, which sounded truly
wonderful.

I did try the 'TV' ones. But with a TV and radio - with obviously very
different speakers etc. They played quite a large selection of material.

The radio+TV broadcasts were in 1962, and I didn't have a TV.

nor did I, but the FM tuner that I'd built to a PW design could tune down
to Band 1 if I inserted an iron dust slug in one of the coils. It can't
have been a very good tuner since it managed the AM on Band 1.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England