Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Crappy kitchen drawers falling apart

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 2:23:42 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
I've inherited my late mother's home. It's a park model home
(manufactured housing) and the cheapo particle board drawers are
disintegrating. I'm gluing/nailing/screwing them back together.

So far, I'm gluing particle board strips (3/8" wide), below the
drawer's side slots, back together with Titebond Premium (yel) wood
glue (water resistant). I need to extract the failing staples and
replace them with glue, screws, and 1" ring-shank panel nails. Also,
the screws holding the roller rails have pulled out of the particle
board sides. What is a good wood putty(?) brand to fill in the
stripped screw holes in the fiberboard drawer side panels?

nb

I use glue and wood toothpicks to fill any holes that need repairing before I put the screws back in. Wood putty tends to disintegrate, while real the real wood stays in the holes and gives the screws something solid to "grab".