Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default PVC pipe as dryer vent

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 15:04:47 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

I replaced some of that plastic line with a thin wire in it because it was supposed to be a fire hazard....

curious about how well it would burn i took a piece and tried lighting it on fire with a grill lighter.

it refused to burn how wierd.

so i tried setting it on fire with my mapp gas torch.

it did not burn. it would smoke, but not catch on fire.......

Good to know.

I think I smell something. I'll get back to you.

Although actually, I thought it was the not-totally smooth nature of
the plastic tubing with the wire in it that was supposed to catch
lint, and that the lint is what would catch on fire. ?? Even though
it is pretty smooth. I would think the lint would blow right by the
wire parts, which are covered with vinyl.

After about 10 years, I bought a 6" box with a flap in it, that would
direct the exhaust air to the outside in the summer and to the inside
in the winter (assuming I moved the flap) so I cut the hose then, and
I didn't look at the whole hose, but at the open ends and I saw no
lint. Again when the tear happened, I looked inside and saw no lint.
But I mostly rely on never running the drier above warm.

I suppose most lint would be just as it comes out of the drier and
bends upwards.

I mentioned that my drier broke a couple months ago. Maybe a bearing.
maybe just something loose and banging when the drum rotates. I've
been drying my clothes on the shower bar, but eventually I will pull
the drier away from the wall, for the first time, to fix it. I'll
check for lint then. I might even replace the hose.