Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Returning to that Scope SMPS Problem...

Just to let you know I just found this 3212 to have a bad transformer. It is a little different as it runs on 24 volts, but it is bad.

I finally hooked it up to all its loads and it let out a little smoke when excited by a power amp at 10 KHz. Couldn't see where the smoke came from so I had a rally good look and looked at the transformer. The outside insulation appears burnt, not too bad but bad enough I guess.

Thing is, this thing has no shorts in it. Being a self oscillator of course the bad transformer stops it, not enough feedback.

I know it is a different unit, but this proves the transformers can go bad. I'd've never thunkit. Like, flybacks in TVs went bad but they had 30 KV floating around in there. The highest supply on this one is 1,500 volts.

Anyway, just lettin' y'know that it is probably more of a possibility than I thought before. If you find out unequivocably that your trasnsformer is bad let us know and I will take that into consideration if buying another one that does not have basic operation.

I don't like dead scopes anyway, 'I like to see a trace before putting the money down, but this one got thrown in on a package deal type thing so it won't break the bank.