Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:38:02 -0000, Frank Slootweg wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 19:50:50 -0000, Frank Slootweg wrote:

[...]
If you don't stop moaning about standards I'm going to post in html.

If you do it *properly*, it's no problem. But given your track record,
the chance of that is nil.

Html is not allowed in newsgroups, I thought you knew that?

Quite impressive, declaring 'format=flowed', but then failing to
actually do so!

The whole point of format flowed is it flows. How can it flow if I
stick carriage returns into it?

Did anyone say anything about sticking carriage returns into the lines
you're typing?

You're moaning I'm not splitting my lines, now you're saying I don't have to. Make up your mind. There are only two options. CRs or no CRs, which do you want?

Apparently you don't understand what 'format=flowed' is (not) and how
it works / doesn't work. That's perfectly fine. The user doesn't have to
understand this under-the-hood stuff. (S)He should just use a compliant
newsreader. Yours isn't, or it is misconfigured.

It's configured the way I've decided is sensible - no wrapping. One person reading my post might have a huge screen. Another person might have a tiny screen. Whatever width I set will displease one of them. So not wrapping at all means they can choose the width themselves.

YOU can wrap my text to YOUR screen
at whatever point you wish, I'm not stopping you. But your posts have
hard CRs in them causing me to see a narrow column half the width I
want. Stop dictating how I see your text.

Stop using a broken newsreader. The beauty of 'format=flowed' is that
both the poster and the reader 1) can use it or not use it and 2) can
use the screen width they want, without either side "dictating"
anything. But, as shown, the article composing side of your newsreader
is broken, so it's no wonder that the reading display side is also
broken.

You don't need any fancy **** to have the reader see it any width. My lines simply have no end to them. When one hits the edge of your screen, your newsreader should wrap it. In fact most newsreaders are perfectly capable of wrapping my text. You must have one of the few that doesn't.

Try this, copy and paste my text into Windows Notepad, and watch it magically wrap it to any size of window you like. Magic isn't it?

What was that again about "some moron is using a newsreader"!?

But I take it all back, the "moron" isn't using a newsreader:

Email and news messages can be thought of as the same thing. The only
difference is where they're stored and how many people see them. Why
wouldn't you use the same program for both?

My tongue-in-cheek comment was about the 'Opera' part, not about the
'Mail' part.

Opera has always been the best browser aswell as mail and news client. Before that I used Netscape for all three.

But you're right, your Opera Mail thingy probably fscks up mail as
well as it does NetNews.

It works better than any other mail or news client I've used, which is why I use it. It has much more versatile and easier to use filtering than anything else, that's the main reason I use it.

--
Artificial intelligence is always better than real stupidity.