Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Fading paint/enamel

On 2/27/2016 10:07 AM, Frank wrote:
On 2/27/2016 11:46 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 2/27/2016 8:03 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/26/2016 6:56 PM, Don Y wrote:
The sun is brutal, here. Anything outdoors fades in short order.

For things like the house, it's no big deal -- the colors chosen
"fade well" (unlike some stronger color choices) and the whole
building fades at the same time (no "shadow lines").

But, smaller things with more vibrant colors really wash out quickly.
E.g., all of the knobs (is that the right word?) on our hose bibbs
have virtually no color left to them. If they'd HAD none to start
with, it wouldn't be noticeable. But, as it is, they just have
ghostly suggestions of past glory!

Are certain (types of) paints better at holding their color?

Is it something you could paint with an acrylic paint? Acrylic paint
is very
resistant to all manner of things.

I'd have to aerosol-ize it, but I can do that (paint sprayer).
What;s the problem with "spray enamel"?

For small stuff, acrylic paints come in spray cans.
Reputable companies test their products for outdoor weather-ability.
I've seem devices like a Weather-Ometer for accelerated testing and have also
seen test panels exposed to weather for years.

http://atlas-mts.com/products/product-detail/pid/226/

Lots of products, like your hose bibs are probably not tested for
weather-ability and plastics can fail more rapidly than the pigment they

I think this is a die-cast "knob" that is enameled prior to sale.
It certainly doesn't *feel* plastic (I can try a flame test on one)

contain. These things are not painted but the pigment is dispersed in the
plastic but weathered surface may frost over from the polymer degrading and hid
the color.

Again, I'm pretty sure this is a chunk of metal underneath a thin
coat of paint/enamel. I can also test that -- chip away at it to
expose the underlying material (if any).