Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
MJC MJC is offline

Default Unsolderable wire?

In article ,
says...

A secondary problem with soldering dissimilar metals is that any
moisture risks causing galvantic action/corrosion of the join, and
in the case of aluminium, this happens even between the aluminium
and the solder used. Selecting a flux which can strip the aluminimum
oxide well whilst not leaving any residue which eventually corrodes
the join is a bit of a challenge.

This reminded me that I once knew about "purple plague". There's an
article about it in Wikipedia.

Mike.