Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

In article ,
pamela wrote:
I never heard of a Truvox Radio Jack until you mentioned it but it
looks lovely. http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/dom1.htm

That's the one. I was hoping it was an Ebay ad showing they were now worth
thousands. As I've got one somewhere. ;-)

It reminds me of a crystal set a friend showed me when I was
young. From memory, they had essentially wound a coil around what
I think was a capacitor and attached a crystal earpiece. There
was a long wire aerial feeding it.

I still can't understand how that could work as a crystal set but
maybe the crystal earpiece was somehow acting as a diode detector.

By some total fluke, this contraption actually received Radio 3.
(Which I should really be calling the Third Programme).

The whole device was smaller than that little Truvox Radio Jack.

There's not much inside them. Just a large enough case to make handling
easy - and made from metal. These days you could probably make a plastic
one much smaller but strong enough.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.