Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

In article ,
pamela wrote:
I've never had a crystal set where a station is spread over an
excessively wide part of the dial. My crystal sets picked up MW
stations quite well (or as well as a crystal set can be expected).
Radio 3 used to be on 464m and it came storming in nicely even on
the crummiest tuning coil but didn't spread itself across the
band. Admittedly, those stations at the shorter wavelength end of
the band didn't come through so well.

When I was at school in Aberdeen in the '50s, schools broadcasts were
recorded on a Ferrograph using a Truvox radio jack - basically a crystal
set. It had two preset frequencies selected by a switch. Now in Aberdeen
in those days all you'd get during daylight was the local BBC
transmissions. Home Light and Third. And you could just hear another
burbling away under the wanted one on this Truvox device.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.