Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:36:16 +0100, Dimitrij Klingbeil wrote:

[...]

Dimitrij, I think you may have missed this I posted elsewhere so I'm re-
posting it here now for you personally:

"Final update for the time being as I have to leave soon now:

That short turned out to be intermittent. I hope it was just due to
something shorting out on the bench that won't happen when the casing is
back on because you all know what a bitch it can be to trace intermittent
faults. Anyway, that fault has now disappeared, so I took some voltage
measurements before the 20W resistor got to hot (from 19'C to 60'C takes
about 1.50s now) and I have:

61.7 12.7 5.8 0
-5.8 -12.7 -62.4

This is with the psu board plugged into the scope and all power
connections made except for the VHT stuff.

The correct figures according to the manual should be:

60 12.7 6
0
-6 -12.7 -60

So very close! Looks like the main transformer may be ok after all."

Making progress!