Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 17:05:21 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:46:56 -0000, Terry Casey
wrote:

More years ago than I care to remember I heard a report on the radio
about a woman living close to the Droitwich transmitter who could
receive the Light Programme (in the days when it was on Long Wave) on
her electric cooker ...

Drainpipes were also said to receive broadcasts. A nice long conductor
acting as an aerial probably naturally tuned by virtue of its length, a
rusty bolt acting as a semiconducting rectifier, and the pipe resonating
to create the sound.

Some people living in Kingstanding E. Sussex were able to pick up the
World Service whenever their fillings became loose.