Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

Rex writes:
On 2/25/2016 6:03 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:18:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 1:44:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hey everyone,

I confirm that the LED panel has 3 wires. White, Black, Green. I was going to call them "plus, minus, and ground", but I wasn't sure if that's correct and I didn't want to confuse everyone more.

As you may have gleaned from this thread, the correct terminology is:

Black - Hot
White - Neutral
Green - Ground

If you want to be pedantic it is

Black - ungrounded conductor
White - grounded conductor
Green - grounding conductor but there is a push to call that the
bonding conductor.

In you want to be clear in single phase service (not to be confused with rare two-phase service)

Black = L1 (line)

Could be brown, orange, red, blue, black, yellow, etc. Just not white or green.

Red = L2 (line)

Could be brown, orange, red, blue, black, yellow, etc. Just not white or green.

White = N (neutral)

Green or bare = G (ground)

Green, Green with yellow tracer, bare.