Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default PVC pipe as dryer vent

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 11:17:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:12:13 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 25 Feb 2016, wrote in alt.home.repair:

I hope they did quit selling those plastic things. Not only were
they a fire hazzard, but they would break after a few years and
make a big mess, if you didn't notice it immediately.

I just replaced mine about a year ago. The plastic one lasted maybe 10
years and was never a problem. It never got hot enough to melt or catch
fire. I replaced it with a metal foil one that seems more likely to get
torn or otherwise damaged.

This is the length of flexible tubing between the drier and the vent
proper. The actual vent is sturdy metal within the ceiling space.

Mine has solid duct fastened to the side of the drier (it was
convertible from back to side vent)) and up about 6 feet to thewall
mounted vent..
I've foaught too often with flex hoses.

I can see why they do it, though, where my dryer sits there's no way to get behind it and connect anything rigid.