Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 25/02/16 14:14, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Only exception, if it's needed at all, are those parasitic
circuits which used two tuners. One to draw radio energy from a
powerful station used to improve reception of the station you
listen to.

I'd never heard of that. I wonder how much power could be obtained from
such a thing?

You can have reasonable lighting run purely off RF. If you are close
enough to a powerful transmitter and have a big enough aerial. Until they
catch you, of course.

It's actually been made illegal, or something? I'd have thought they
would encourage you to do it. I was wondering if you could just slowly
charge batteries off it. I never imagined you could run lighting off it.

Well average TV transmitter is around 100-250KW and you get 4+ up a
standard mast.

Rarely these days much more that about a 100K for a main station, the
olde analogue was peak sync power the average was a lot lower then that
it appeared to be.

But it is in a Very tight beam towards the distant horizon it costs too
much money to generate and waste heating up the ground locally!..

Think broadcast AM is broadly similar.

Which mat be why in the end BBC3 is moving online. It could be that it
costs less for the number of actual viewers.

A standard fluorescent tube will light with no other connections close to
some TX aerials.

--
Tony Sayer