Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:08:37 +0000, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I only ever seemed to be able to pick up what
seemed to be radio 4.

I'm guessing that would have been the World Service. At 1MW DC input
power, it dominated the xtal radios of the small boys all over Britain.
Does this sound familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4BZrSj2VU4

I don't think so. The world service being easily available at all times in
the UK is relatively recent.

The item shows refers to shortwave coverage. It used to be reasonably
accessible in the UK. When I joined EID, the car radios had a short wave
band and I did listen.

The most likely transmitter to receive (apart from a very local one) would
have been Droitwich LW. Which transmitted the Light Programme when I were
a lad. Later changed to R4 during the day, WS at night.

Droutwich carrying World Service is relatively new. Until Orfordness was
opened (late 70s?) the medium wave came from Crowborough (Aspidistra) which
used quite directional aerials, so not much UK coverage)

IIRC, overnight, Droitwich has been carrying the BBC's Overseas Service
/ World Service for a long, long time - long before they stopped the MW
transmissions.

--
Ian