Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Luan outside of ply?

dpb wrote:
On 02/25/2016 3:00 PM, dadiOH wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 02/25/2016 7:00 AM, dadiOH wrote:

... Here is a link to Condon and
two others that have Philippine mahogany.

http://condonlumber.dex-digital.com/...FVBbhgodryIPDA

http://bestpricedlumber.com/minnesot...pine-lumber-2/

WOWSERS!!! $20/bd-ft for what was, once, almost
"throwaway" lumber
used because it was cheap...

I imagine much depends upon where you are.

Well, that was the unrestricted search...when put in
location, it
returned no results. I didn't try to locate where the $20
listing
came from....wasn't going to happen no matter where they
were.

I used to use it when I lived in Hawaii and was working
on my
sailboat. Both teak and walnut were around $1.35/brd/ft
then and I'm
reasonably sure the Philippine mahogany was less.
Considerably
less...guessing, $0.25. However, that was in the 70s and
inflation
has taken its toll; additionally, the places I was buying
it
probably bought it by the container full direct from the
foreign
mill. Add time, distance and a bunch of wholesalers,
distributers,
retailers etc. and stuff gets pricey.

It was the tract-housing unpainted woodwork of thousands
of houses at
near nothing; the reason it's used in all those hollow
core doors
wasn't because it was the high-priced exotic but about the
cheapest
material available.

Searching shows it's now in a new fad phase and I'm
convinced current
pricing is being driven by an entirely different marketing
ploy from
what I've seen including the common in-use name change to
hide the
previously known/heard connotation...

I haven't tried to research but I'd suspect the amount
that is
actually available to be harvested isn't in short supply
at all as it
is a subtropical and grows pretty quickly. So, iow, I
think it's
mostly an artificial market at the moment.

The kicker is that there seems to be nobody producing
anything at all
in the light red or white varietals; only the dark red
which is being
marketed as a high-end product now. Consequently, there
just isn't
product available that would, if it were, be inexpensive
if based on
actual production cost.

My take; not carefully researched...

if you are just looking for a small piece, you might try a
"custom" cabinet shop. Any quality shop is going to have
some and it doesn't really matter where you are located,
there is woodworkers everywhere