Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Do crystal radios still pick anything up?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Dan S. MacAbre wrote

You can have reasonable lighting run purely off RF.
If you are close enough to a powerful transmitter and
have a big enough aerial. Until they catch you, of course.

It's actually been made illegal, or something?

I'd guess it would be stealing energy or somesuch.

Guess again, legally, it isnt.

I'd have thought they would encourage you to do it.

Trouble is it removes or reduces the RF signal beyond that point.

Fantasy.

Story was a farmer or something used it to light a cow shed or whatever -
close to the BBC LW tramsmitter and caused a vast shadow in its output.
Many many years ago.

Don’t believe that vast claim.

I was wondering if you could just slowly
charge batteries off it. I never imagined you could run lighting off it.

To get any appreciable current, you'd need a very large
and efficient aerial and be close to the transmitter. Likely
cost far more than anything you could get for free.