Kevin Childers

Default presario 4764 power supply start up ?

"Kevin Falconer" wrote in message
om...
what are the specs on this system? Im guessing its an AT computer. Does
the power switch stay in when you press it or is it a momentary switch?
If it stays in, then you have a AT which makes it easier. You can just
plug in a hard drive (to give it load) and turn on the psu. If that
doesnt work,then its either your hdd or the psu.

bfriendl, the switch on front is just a momentary switch, it's a
sleepmode switch. The PSU has a rocker switch on the back for on/off
I think.

Actually it covers all three functions, on/off/sleep. Usually it must
be held down for 4 seconds to turn off the system. A good thing if you have
a button pushing two year old wandering through your work area.

I'll probably call compaq. I thought I ordered this from compaq but I

think
it was PC/finder ? but the PSU has compaq on it. I suppose I'll try
compaq but they charge also for their tech info. If i knew for a fact this
PSU did not require a turn on signal from the board I would just call the
shipper and tell them I'm sending it back, but if it's good I'd just
be wasting more time.

You can also try www.power-on.com they have had simular PSUs in the
past.

The p1 and p2 connectors are like this ------ ------ then one other
connector in the middle of board ------
the green wire I was told to jumper to ground is in the 6 pin
connector in the center of the board, i think this is p9 connector

Make sure you have the two black leads on P1 & P2 side-by-side. The
other connector is unique to only a few boards. It, I believe, is a control
circuit allowing the basically AT board to perform some functions that later
came out ass standard for ATX boards.

KC