Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Luan outside of ply?

On 02/25/2016 3:00 PM, dadiOH wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 02/25/2016 7:00 AM, dadiOH wrote:

... Here is a link to Condon and
two others that have Philippine mahogany.

http://condonlumber.dex-digital.com/...FVBbhgodryIPDA

http://bestpricedlumber.com/minnesot...pine-lumber-2/

WOWSERS!!! $20/bd-ft for what was, once, almost "throwaway" lumber
used because it was cheap...

I imagine much depends upon where you are.

Well, that was the unrestricted search...when put in location, it
returned no results. I didn't try to locate where the $20 listing came
from....wasn't going to happen no matter where they were.

I used to use it when I lived in Hawaii and was working on my sailboat.
Both teak and walnut were around $1.35/brd/ft then and I'm reasonably sure
the Philippine mahogany was less. Considerably less...guessing, $0.25.
However, that was in the 70s and inflation has taken its toll; additionally,
the places I was buying it probably bought it by the container full direct
from the foreign mill.

Add time, distance and a bunch of wholesalers, distributers, retailers etc.
and stuff gets pricey.

It was the tract-housing unpainted woodwork of thousands of houses at
near nothing; the reason it's used in all those hollow core doors wasn't
because it was the high-priced exotic but about the cheapest material
available.

Searching shows it's now in a new fad phase and I'm convinced current
pricing is being driven by an entirely different marketing ploy from
what I've seen including the common in-use name change to hide the
previously known/heard connotation...

I haven't tried to research but I'd suspect the amount that is actually
available to be harvested isn't in short supply at all as it is a
subtropical and grows pretty quickly. So, iow, I think it's mostly an
artificial market at the moment.

The kicker is that there seems to be nobody producing anything at all in
the light red or white varietals; only the dark red which is being
marketed as a high-end product now. Consequently, there just isn't
product available that would, if it were, be inexpensive if based on
actual production cost.

My take; not carefully researched...