Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 1:44:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hey everyone,

I confirm that the LED panel has 3 wires. White, Black, Green. I was going to call them "plus, minus, and ground", but I wasn't sure if that's correct and I didn't want to confuse everyone more.

As you may have gleaned from this thread, the correct terminology is:

Black - Hot
White - Neutral
Green - Ground

I already got my electrical inspection passed, so I'm not super concerned about being code compliant. But I do want this to be safe for me and everyone else in my building.

OK, here's where things get a little touchy. Please don't take this the
wrong way. After all, you did say: "I do want this to be safe for me and
everyone else in my building."

You don't know what to call the wires which tells me that you haven't
spent much time working with household electrical wiring. You passed the
inspection so now you don't mind going off the reservation. Both of those
things concern me. Are you sure that you are the right person to be
attempting this installation? Do you have friends that have done house
wiring before that would be willing to help/teach you how to do this
safely?

Keep in mind that we are all pretty sure that using that receptacle box
in the first place is not code compliant, so anything else that you do
may only make matters worse.

One of my concerns is that if we just tell you to drill a hole in the wall
and fish that cord into the receptacle box and use wire nuts to match the
wires colors by color, are you going to be able to do that safely? Will you
know if the box is so over crowded that you are so out of code that it is now
unsafe? Do you know how to safely attach stranded wire to solid wire? Do
you know how to safely secure the wire to the box? (You might recall from
my previous posts that I'm not even sure that it is code (or even safe) to
run that cord inside a wall and into a junction box.

I guess a different way of asking my question would be, How can I safely wire this LED panel to that 20A outlet on the left, without having to attach a plug from the outside? And is there more information that is lacking in my description?

If you indeed want to tackle this job, we might be able to tell you the
generic steps to get the wiring done, but without actually seeing the
inside of that box, we can't be specific. If they used wire nuts and
pigtails, adding a wire would be done one way (assuming there is room).
If they back-clamped the wires into the receptacle, it will need to be
done in a different way. If there is some sort of shared neutral (I doubt
it) then that adds another element. All I am trying to say is that it all
depends on how that receptacle box is wired.

At the risk of sounding tedious, I really think you need to determine if
that cord should even be run inside the wall. If not, then you are going
to have figure out how to get your source wires into a junction box and
then figure out how to get that cord (safely) into the junction box. As
I mentioned in an earlier post, it might be OK to remove that cord and use
Romex as shown he

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...826161,00.html

Thanks

Good luck!