Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:55:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 12:07:48 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 13:58:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:13:06 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 04:40:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:28:20 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:18:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:04:29 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:44:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

You can't make that assertion without knowing what the "bare leads intended
to be hardwired inside the wall" look like.

Well, they don't look like alligators. They look like wires.

True. They might even look like the wires that come with a bathroom fan.
3 loose wires (18g?) one black, one white, one green. Maybe it's a short
run of Romex. Do you feel that putting a plug on those types of wires

They would never put Romex on a less than 20 watt light.

"will not detract from the appearance of the kitchen?"

If you think that either of those will be an OK look, then we have nothing
further to discuss.

Red herring. I didn't suggest those wires, you did.

If you agree with me that that that would not be aesthetically pleasing, then I repeat:

You can't make that assertion without knowing what the "bare leads intended
to be hardwired inside the wall" look like.

Again, based on his use of the
words "intended to be hardwired inside the wall" I lean away from the simple
attachment of a plug being aesthetically pleasing. In fact, it may not
even be to code.

What in the code prevents connecting two 14, 16, or 18 gauge wires to
a plug?

I don't know. That's why I said *may*. You keep making statements based on
your assumptions of what he is dealing with and I keep leaving it wide open
until we know the details. You have no clue what the "bare leads intended
to be hardwired inside the wall" look like, yet you keep saying things like
"Put a plug on them! Solder on longer wires! It'll be beautiful! It will
meet code!"

What do you mean "no clue". I've seen 100's of electric lights.

The wires look just like I expected.

And he could put a plug on them. He just doesn't want to, and I
understand that.

That make no sense.