Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 07:49:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 10:06:16 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 9:59:32 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 8:18:11 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:28:20 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:18:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:04:29 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:44:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I don't think so. Most of the LED things like under counter lights are
probably added in some half-assed way by the homeowner or they are made
with a transformer that has a plug. I've seen hardwired ones
done right with the transformer mounted inside a cabinet or down
in the basement. Depending on where it's going, the plug in type
could be fine, assuming it's off to the side, behind some counter
appliance, etc where the cord isn't objectionable.

But he specifically said:

"The lights are an LED panel with a built in transformer, with bare leads intended to be hardwired inside the wall, and a remote switch. "

I know he said that. It still sounds like regular wires to me.

[time goes by]

But he's posted picture links and counting the whole thread I've got
one loss and two wins.
He doesn't want to use a plug.
But I was right about what the wires look like. Even though he has
4 empty receptacles (probably because the kitchen isn't in use yet).
And I was right that he plans for the wire to come straight out of
the wall!!
Plus I don't know how he intends to run the 2-conductor wire into
the junction box. It's a lot smaller than Romex and the standard
cover will leave a much bigger opening than with Romex. Plus if this
is permitted at all (????) he needs some sort of grommet to go into
the box. Are there any grommets small enough for this wire that are
acceptable for 110 volts? Maybe it came with a smaller than average
wachamacallit, that goes into the hole in the box and tightens down so
that sparks can't get out.

His drawing either shows no junction box, or it shows the connections
made outside of the box!!!

I have my own home-made under-the-counter light, installed at least 25
years ago. Two sockets using those 110V hotdog-shaped light bulbs
(like are used for bed-lamps) and a separate switch (none of which is
visible, just behind the cabinet skirt), and a two-conductor wire
(lamp cord). I put a plug on the cord and plugged it in. I used
insulated staples or 2-sided tape or something to keep the wire up
under the cabinet.

I thought that we discussing his exact situation, not a situation where a
plug in type transformer is present.

OK, so his transformer isn't like the freestanding one that I linked to, but
it sure sounds like that style of transformer is inside the fixture. Bottom
line is that he has 2 bare wires that he has to attach to a 110VAC source.