Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Reasons to be careful

On 2/24/16 4:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in :

On 2/24/16 3:53 PM, krw wrote:
On 24 Feb 2016 06:07:39 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

I hope every one also noted the comments about the static
electricity that can build up in plastic pipes in your dust
collection system. They must be grounded to dissipate this charge.

Also while the article is about wood dust, the dust of other
organic material can be equally explosive.

Bottom line keep things clean and avoid excessive dust.

If you notice static from your DC system, by all means ground it.
It's not for safety per se, but just to keep you from getting an
annoying shock. One of the normal human reactions when you get a
shock is to move rapidly away from it, which could cause you to hit
something.

OK, ground the equipment (it should be anyway) but the plastic pipe
between them? Really?! The only thing I see the ground wire
accomplishing is to plug the thing up.

The one's I've seen grounded (to prevent uncomfortable static shocks,
not "explosions") were grounded by a wire on the outside of the
plastic pipe, not inside.

Right, that's how I did mine. I just wrapped a wire around the outside
of the pipe and that pretty much solved the problem.

Puckdropper

AND it blocks the mind control rays.

--

-MIKE-