Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:35:48 -0800 (PST), John-Del
wrote:

It's been many years since I worked on power supplies that had large wattage resistors in it, but I do remember some 10 watters running hot enough to sizzle water or spit off them, and that's when they were running normally. That would put it over 100C I guess.

Book hot spot limits for Philips PR01, PR02 and PR03 is between 220
and 250C, depending on the series. This is typical for later metal
glaze films. Book derating for normal use is linear, to zero watts at
150C ambient.

RL