Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 04:26:28 -0800 (PST), John-Del
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 5:22:37 AM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Obviously a professional technician just wants to get each unit fixed as
soon as possible so as to get on to the next one and maximise his income.
But I'm just a hobbyist and my motivations are not at all the same.

Well, that's how I look at it. But I do remember back when I was a teenager working on what was then new technology (transistorized TVs) and the boss trying to get me to check the "Goldenrods" (RCAs service bulletins back then). I didn't want to because I wanted to track the problem down myself.

Even today on a slow day, I'll spend a lot more time on something that isn't economically worth the effort just to solve the puzzle. Even us old grizzled veterans aren't immune to such things.

It's important to remember what hat you're wearing, when you're
performing specific tasks.

If this guy had originally stated that he had a Philips scope and that
he just wanted to sniff it's perfume, I would never have bothered
responding.

RL