Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Transformer shot! (was scope SMPS/ capacitor venting)

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 5:22:37 AM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Obviously a professional technician just wants to get each unit fixed as
soon as possible so as to get on to the next one and maximise his income.
But I'm just a hobbyist and my motivations are not at all the same.

Well, that's how I look at it. But I do remember back when I was a teenager working on what was then new technology (transistorized TVs) and the boss trying to get me to check the "Goldenrods" (RCAs service bulletins back then). I didn't want to because I wanted to track the problem down myself.

Even today on a slow day, I'll spend a lot more time on something that isn't economically worth the effort just to solve the puzzle. Even us old grizzled veterans aren't immune to such things.