Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Darwin award

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:44:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
That applies to any so-called "smart" phone. All completely
unnecessary.

Not to everybody. I find my smart phone extremely useful, and generally
speaking wouldn't be without it when out and about. I hardly ever make
or receive phone calls, though.

Not susrpring. Some seem to make using the phone part as difficult as
possible. ;-)

Or you see people with massive hands and tiny touch_screen smartphones
getting frustrated that they can't type anything in correctly (as I
heard over the landline last night when trying to help a mate do stuff
on his smartphone).

For his fingers a Galaxy Note would probably be the minimum (and you
don't always have a 'dibber' to hand). ;-)

With something as important as the UI on a phone you really do need to
consider the match between the phone and the user. That said we
recently replaced my Mums mobile phone (fairly prolific iPad user)
with one of the Doro 'PhoneEasy' conventional looking phones and she
kept trying to use the screen as if it was a touchscreen.

Maybe we should have got her one of these:

http://www.doro.co.uk/mobile-devices...ecure-580.html

That said, getting her to 1) Take it out with her and 2) turn it on if
she takes it out with her and 3) turn it off when she gets home so
it's not flat the next time she remembers to take it out and tries to
turn it on ...

Or now she's 'touchscreen enabled', one of these:

http://www.doro.co.uk/mobile-devices...berto-810.html

Whilst she's still got most of her marbles, 'technology' isn't really
one of her strong points and it's frustrating for us to see her
staring blankly at her phone, wondering why it isn't working when she
hasn't pressed the 'select' key after highlighting an item from the
menu. ;-(

Cheers, T i m