Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Reasons to be careful

On 2/24/16 12:03 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:

-MIKE- writes:
I can't even imagine a normal woodworking scenario in which that
high a concentration of wood dust could occur.

The linked report had a suspect cause: wood flour collected in
hidden spaces, something else went FOOM (like a small contained bit
of wood flour) and that blew all the other wood flour up into the air
in a contained space, starting a chain reaction.

Granted, this is rare in a home shop, but the focus of the report was
a commercial building that actually exploded, so it's not
*impossible*.

Right. But there's a boatload of things that aren't *impossible* about
over I'm not about to lose any sleep. The perfect storm can always
occur when the odds are stretched far enough. The fact that something
happened once, or even twice does not justify rampant paranoia about it.

Of course, I forget I'm living in the age of the tinfoil hat society
where a good portion of society thinks we're hiding aliens at area 51
and the moon landing was filmed on a Hollywood sound stage.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--