Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Reasons to be careful

On 2/23/16 9:24 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 2/23/2016 9:43 PM, OFWW wrote:
http://www.woodshopnews.com/news/fea...s-of-wood-dust

Nice article.

How OSHA currently judges with a paper clip.

"So is the sawdust in my facility a hazard? It depends, Scott
says. The really dangerous stuff is so-called €śwood flour€ť €” fine
particles 500 microns or smaller."

It appears to be a very small chance.

However as far as I am concerned the breathing of the "wood flour"
is my concern, so I will be paying attention, to this for my sake.

Steel wool catches fire easily, just so as you are aware of it. I
like to bet that I can set steel on fire. Haven't lost yet.

I hope every one also noted the comments about the static electricity
that can build up in plastic pipes in your dust collection system.
They must be grounded to dissipate this charge.

Also while the article is about wood dust, the dust of other organic
material can be equally explosive.

Bottom line keep things clean and avoid excessive dust.

And again, I have yet to see or hear of a credible documented case of a
dust collector pipe explosion from static charge. I'm still waiting.
It's the Loc Ness Monster of woodworking folklore. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--