Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 05:18:00 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:28:20 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:18:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:04:29 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:44:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Yep, what Jon said. Sorry, I'm not super familiar with electrical terminology (I'm a mechanical guy).

No you may not do that.

Why not just get one of those 6 in 1 outlets, that plug into to a
duplex outlet (like you have) and have a center screw so they don't
pull out when you pull out a plug. They come with 3 prong sockets.

These days, even a properly wired house is likely to have many more
appliances and little black boxes than the number of receptacles, even
if you don't use more than one or two of the big ones at once.

He does not have a plug on the end of the leads from the transformer.

Yeah, I missed that when replying to his second post, but then I read
his first post again.

The wires
might not be suitable for adding a plug, perhaps because of physical issues,

What phyical issues could those be?

perhaps
because of aesthetics.

It's the kitchen. Screw aesthetics. How bad can a plug be? Or a
6-in-1? What's your alternative?

The alternative would be to do what he apparently suggested in his first

For the record, FWIW, I was really just asking Derby because he got my
goat.

post, wire it into an existing circuit that feeds a receptacle. That may
be a code violation, because current code requires 20A circuits for

If it's against code, I'm not counting it as an alternative.

We're talking about a wire coming straight out of the wall, from an
opening in a junction box within the wall, aren't we? How could that
not be a code violation?

The OP didn't say that was how he was going to do it. It wasn't clear
what he was going to do, unless you're a mind reader:

"Is it ok to install these lights behind an existing 20 amp outlet?"

The possible code violation I was addressing was the issue that Don
brought up. Current code requires dedicated 20A circuits for kitchen
appliances. If it's a circuit that was subject to that, then according
to Don, adding some other wired in load is not code compliant. And I
think he's probably right, but I'm not going to go look it up.

appliances to be plugged in and AFAIK, you can't put other loads on it.
But it's a 14W LED and insignificant as far as effecting the ampacity,
so I could live with it.

I'm not sure it even is a code problem. The 20A circuit reqt for

In your other reply to me, iiuc in place of a wire coming out of the
wall, from a junction box within the wall, you were suggesting a
surface mount junction box. I think that would be less aethetically
pleasing than a plug on a wire.

I never suggested a surface mount junction box.

If you want another solution, how about finding one of the many
other LED alternatives that have transformers that you can plug
in? Or at least a transformer that is separate from the led fixture?