Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default installing 15 amp cabinet lights into a 20 amp circuit

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 04:40:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:28:20 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 20:18:23 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 11:04:29 PM UTC-5, Micky wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 15:44:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Yep, what Jon said. Sorry, I'm not super familiar with electrical terminology (I'm a mechanical guy).

No you may not do that.

Why not just get one of those 6 in 1 outlets, that plug into to a
duplex outlet (like you have) and have a center screw so they don't
pull out when you pull out a plug. They come with 3 prong sockets.

These days, even a properly wired house is likely to have many more
appliances and little black boxes than the number of receptacles, even
if you don't use more than one or two of the big ones at once.

He does not have a plug on the end of the leads from the transformer.

Yeah, I missed that when replying to his second post, but then I read
his first post again.

The wires
might not be suitable for adding a plug, perhaps because of physical issues,

What phyical issues could those be?

perhaps
because of aesthetics.

It's the kitchen. Screw aesthetics.

I know you took this back later (partly),

Twice. Once in the next two words and once in the follow-up post.

To be honest, "Screw aesthetics" was directed to you, not the OP. I
know he's not going to ignore aesthetics and I wouldn't either, but
you got my goat with the absurd implication that a plug on the end of
a wire could be unaesthetic, based perhaps on the absurd idea that a
wire he would find** on his transformer could be too ugly for a plug.
Most people with kitchens have things with plugs plugged in, the
toaster, the blender, a George Foreman grill, a radio, a tv, a
microwave, a Mixmaster, one or more device chargers, and maybe other
things (an electric rotisserie?). Putting a plug on his cord will
not detract from the appearance of the kitchen.

**An industrial strength extension cord would look bad plugged into a
kitchen outlet, but you won't find that on a 25 watt device.

but even to have made this comment
in the first place was almost enough to make me realize that this conversation
probably isn't worth having with you. However, I'll use it as teaching
moment.

Kitchens are often the most important room in the house and some people
put more money into the blending of aesthetics and functionality in a
kitchen than they do in any other room.

How bad can a plug be?

Going back to the aesthetics issue, you have no idea what the wires on the
transformer look like. What if they look like this?

http://cdn.instructables.com/FQT/ORX...55S5.LARGE.jpg

What's wrong with them? I'd put on the plug whose url I gave in the
other post (in reply to his first post). If that didn't leave a long
enough wire to mount the box somewhere decent, like under the cabinets
hidden by the cabinet skirt (where I have my extra light) I'd add some
wire too.

Are you just going to put a plug on these wires? I hope not, but since
kitchen aesthetics don't matter to you, maybe you would.

As far as extending the bare lead wires with a spare cord, where would
store the connections?

What connections?

The wires nuts

What wire nuts? If the wire is not long enough, I'd solder more wire
to it, with the connections offset from each other so there is no
chance of shorting and so the bulge would be smaller, though longer.

would have to go in a junction box.
After you've done that, how do you plan to have the cord come out of the
junction box so you can plug it in?

What junction box?

Or a
6-in-1? What's your alternative?

My alternative is to wire it per code and keep aesthetics in mind as I'm
planning the project.

That's a total non-answer. What is your alternative?